Saturday 1 February 2014

Leaving Secondary School... What To Expect After Year 11

I've decided to post something a little more 'outside of the box' which some readers may find controversial in opinion. 


These are all the emotions I felt at one point during the few months bordering Year 11 and Year 12

However, I want to present to you what happened after I closed the chapter of my 5 years at secondary school and how this blog may prepare you to brace yourself for the upcoming future.

A range of emotions swam inside my head as soon as I realised Year 11 was over. Happiness, Satisfaction, Fear, Paranoia, I could go on... Overall, a very mixed vision of what was next for Vlad Marin...

I was not able to stay at the same sixth form as my friends as I moved home during the time of the 2012 Olympic Games and found it a chore to drive half an hour each day, there and back, as well as study for 15 different subjects I was forced to study.

It was time to take a deep breath and exhale the bad memories and moments I had at secondary school but also to leave behind a part of my life that I will cherish and remember for the many years to come.

The build up to the end the year consisted of people acting like a broken record, repeating 'I will miss you so much' and 'It won't be the same without you'. True! 

It won't be the same and for some people, I will miss them very much and will keep in contact with them.

What I hadn't realised was most of what people said were just plain words. Whether or not they meant it solely depended on their actions. If they take on the title of being considered 'friend' or 'best friend', then surely it is in their responsibility as well to keep in contact and ensure that the relationship remains equally strong. This is expressed in the modest way possible... but ever since I left my school, I knew it was primarily down to me to text people and call them as I was one of few that actually left the friendship group.

However, we have to be realistic. I, or anyone else in my situation, cannot and should not just be pulling the weight on their own. That clearly highlights what your friends think of you. I am not necessarily stating that you will fall under this extreme situation but honestly, it is bound to open your eyes and see where your loyalties lie with people. I knew so many people at my sixth form and I only keep in touch with my friends I made on my Kenya expedition and some of those 'unique' people I cherish and love and who I know feel the same way back. The rest are like strangers to me as I feel completely abandoned by the them.

Now that I am a little older, wiser, smarter I able to see people in a clearly different light and I could not be happier. Instead of trying to please everyone, be yourself and people will come to you. Also, it is good practice when it comes to university and even when you get a job. Not everyone is going to stick around with you for the rest of their lives. Only the best of them will...