Saturday 6 February 2016

Which Lana Del Rey album is the best?

Lana Del Rey's Discography

Welcome fellow readers,

As many of you are aware, I love to listen to music and I decided that I would like to share with you what kind of artists I enjoy listening to. Whenever I'm running out of hilarious anecdotes, I'll compensate with music related blogs.
So, today, I thought I would start with the one and only Lana Del Rey. Lana Del Rey has been one of my most played artists in the last 4 years and to say that I am infatuated by her music is an understatement. She breaks convention on what is now a 'branded' and safe music culture where the charts are dominated by house or viral music. She brings the old into the new in the form of a dark beautiful fantasy. With 3 studio albums and an EP, I feel she has definitely accomplished a lot. In this blog, I am going to rank them from best to worst. Feel free to comment your opinion and what you think of her in the comment section.

4. Paradise - Despite being the last in the ranking, this does not mean this album lacks in musical quality. In fact, its rather the contrast. The only reason I feel it is last its due to the amount of songs the album contains. This album was part of the re-release of the Born to Die era yet I feel it is more like an artificial limb and an independent body of work rather than an organ of the album in question. 9 songs including my favourites - Gods and Monsters, Ride and Body Electric. The album includes the classic cover of Blue Velvet, used for her H and M campaign. Whilst the album contains some really good tracks, they all mirror the nature and theme of Born To Die, seemingly plucking out the rejects on the original edition. Either way, I am glad she released them.


3. Honeymoon - This is potentially the least darkest album of Lana's discography. Equally dreamy, yet less gritty and chilling compared to her other masterpieces. Several highlights would be - High By The Beach, The Blackest Day and Swan Song. This album experiments with a tinge of electronic for the first time and reintroduces the trip hop beats from Born to Die, giving it a breezy and whispy tone, living up to the album titles name. Whilst some songs are quite dark, they are equally cinematic, orchestrated masterpieces. Despite a few filler tracks, its certainly refreshing to hear a lighter side to Lana Del Rey. Maybe she's becoming an old romantic or 'happy'? time will tell I suppose.



2. Born To Die - my original love that made me become a lifelong Lana Del Rey fan. After hearing Video Games on the radio, I didn't think much of it, until one of my friends introduced me to the album and I instantaneously was hooked. Despite the similarity between all the songs, it firmly established herself as a new brand of artist. The album is a mixture of trip hop and alternative music focusing on the double edged nature of fame and romance. Top highlights from this album would be - Summertime Sadness, Dark Paradise and Carmen. Each song is creates a visual and it brings back an elegance to music that hasn't been seen in a while in the mainstream market.



1. Ultraviolence - Despite some disagreements, I definitely feel that Ultraviolence is my favourite album from her discography. This album is not for the faint hearted, it touches an very sexual themes as well as controversial subjects such as drugs, domestic abuse and the glorification of death. Unlike her other albums she draws inspiration from rock music and the album as a whole sounds more grainy, almost like a demo to give it an edgier sound. My favourite tracks would be Black Beauty, Shades of Cool, Ultraviolence and Brooklyn Baby, simply to name a few. This album is very sombre and creates a world that the faint hearted or cheery should not enter. The album as a whole has a very rock n roll yet jazzy and church like vibe. I would definitely recommend this album on a rainy day anytime.